Saturday, January 20, 2018

My Day Up Until Now

I used a website called Random Subject Prompts and the one that popped up was: "Write about your day so far." So, let's do that.

5:30AM - I wake up to hear the cutest voice ever saying "dada" in the next room. Sorry to disappoint you, Little Man, but it's Momma's turn; we switch off mornings. I couldn't get back to sleep so I picked up where I left off in my Jim Henson biography. Basically that dude changed the face of children's television and pretty much invented it in terms of the format we still see today. Previous puppet shows on television had a little stage where the puppets moved about, but what he and his female partner did in the 1950's (while he was in college) was look at a little monitor and let that space that the viewers could see be the boundaries of the stage. He was the first to let the puppets themselves be the stars of the show and brought those characters to life.

I was trying to explain to Mrs. Noisewater when we were watching a modern "Sesame Street" that it was no good because the kids in the show were clearly actors. Corny as all hell. Back in the 1970's it was an organic experience of the kids just having conversations with the puppets as if they were real people. The kiddos reacted to what the puppet was saying, and the puppeteer fed off of the spontaneity and whimsy that the children brought to the scene. This scene below is the best example of what I'm talking about. The girl had her little joke and was cracking herself up, so Jim made Kermit pretend to get all frustrated. And then the unexpected pull at the heart strings at the end brings it all home for a truly magic moment.



7:00AM - Fell back asleep eventually and got up feeling like a million bucks. 7AM is really sleeping in during the baby days. I made myself a French press cup of coffee with my birthday gift of a press and a grinder. If you don't have one, I recommend it. I'm amped with fuel for the whole day, and I just kind of love the whole process of brewing it.

Cat mug not included.
9:00AM - Went for a run with my buddy Night Train who lives down the street. He is training for his first marathon in the Spring in Big Sur, California, and I have my 2nd one in September here in Chicago. Topics discussed that I can remember were: Parenting styles, break ups, our upcoming Man Night get together with friends, whether or not Tom Brady is faking an injury to play head games with his opponents, and what makes an ideal roommate. If you're anything like me, you do your best thinking when you run, and it really helps to have someone with you to hash out all of life's problems and reflect on the minutia of all things off of the running path.

10:30AM - Mrs. Noisewater was meeting a friend at the Women's March, and she made this terrific sign. The other side has a clock that says "Time's Up." What is funny is that she showed the boy the typical way of protesting with a sign by shaking it up and down and doing a ra-ra chant, so Baby Noisewater did the same and babbled about what may or may not have been about women's rights but more likely was about Thomas the Train and his rights in the rail yard.



12:10 - We are currently on a major budget restriction, trying to save for a more proper home for the family, somewhere with in-unit washer/dryer, a dishwasher, and a proper bedroom for the Little Man. For this entire month we are tracking everything we spend on a spreadsheet. If either of us buys something, even a can of soda at the gas station, it has to go onto our spreadsheet. Believe it or not, it really does make you more conscious of what you need and don't need to buy. Hence, I opted for a free activity for the baby and took him to the library. Here he is playing with a random girl that was there. He is so social, but mostly with the ladies. It was impressive that he recognized that his partner had more advanced fine motor skills, so he opted to be the guy who fetched the bricks for her to carefully put into place. He has the brute strength and cute strength.

And that about takes us to the current time. Tonight we will stay in and continue to spend zero dollars. There is some movie about a mute gal falling for a merman that is supposed to be quite good, so we may stream that one free and illegally.

I rather liked this writing activity because when you take the time to write about your day, you find yourself a little more convinced that it was all time well spent.

Be well, Blog Buddies.

6 comments:

Mistress Maddie said...

So nice to see you back...but because of that beautiful sign of Mrs. Noisewater's...I may love her a little more now than you, lol!!!!! That's great she went!!! I can also only imagine the antics of your forth coming men's night out.

Exile on Pain Street said...

They faked Tom Tom's injury to create some drama because nobody outside of Jacksonville believed for one second that the Pats would lose. It was to goose-up the ratings. I'll be skipping the Super Bowl for the second year in a row. I've got Tom fatigue. I honestly don't care.

Don't bag out of blogging. You need it but we need it more.

LL Cool Joe said...

Haha that sign cracked me up.

Yeah I don't miss the early mornings I have to say. If I work 5.30am is about the time I get to bed. Nice to see you blogging again!

Jimmy Fungus said...

Imagine hoping to meet the Cookie Monster and getting stuck having to sing with a b-list frog. I understand the girl's frustration.

Mr. Shife said...

Best of luck with frugality, house hunting, and training. Sounds like a pretty good day to me. Be well also, Dr. Ken.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Mistress:
Mrs. Noisewater is creative and intelligent, and pretty darned awesome. I think you ALL would like her. The boys got into some fun that night as far as I can recall.

Exile:
I'm so glad I didn't boycott that Super Bowl! What a game! The wife and I just stayed home with the kiddo and watched with a bunch of snacks and a couple of beers. I can't remember a game of football I have enjoyed in a long, long time.

Cool Joe:
The days of coming home at 5:30AM are LONG GONE for this guy. How the hell did I do it back then?

Jimmy:
I think you're right. She does kind of diss him like that. You may not get your favorite puppet, but you're on TV, you ungrateful little jerk! Okay, that was harsh. She's God damned adorable. I'm sorry, little girl. She's probably like 50-years-old now.

Shife:
You know how we do. I think the Bulls will be good in another year or two. Future is bright.