Monday, July 27, 2020

Okay, it's been 5 days since I've posted. I am trying to do about every other day, so I'll have to step up my game.

On Saturday I went out to a bar with friends for the first time since the COVID came. I have been to a couple places with Mrs. Noisewater, but this was the first time with buddies. Wow. I've missed it. 

It was a bit of a project to find a spot where we could watch the Cubs first game on a television at an outdoor patio that would let us make a reservation. We found the spot, but the lady on the phone said there was a 2 hour limit per table. Not to worry, she said all we would have to do is make 3 different reservations with 3 different members of our party. Problem solved! Then with only a few days to go the mayor of Chicago announced that no groups bigger than 6 could sit a table. That's a fair rule, but we just had our 7th person join. Dang it! It ended up all working out because someone had to cancel, but it was all and all way more involved and complicated than getting a beer with friends should have to be. 

There are a lot of funny images like the one above floating around of Mayor Lori Lightfoot popping up to tell people to go home. I like this one because this painting is in the Art Institute of Chicago. "Sunday In the Park In . . ." Nope! Go the F home!!!

Don't worry, the bar had lots of good social distancing protocols, and we followed all of them, putting masks back on when we walk to the bathroom, etc. The Cubs won and a good time was had by all. 

I just miss cracking jokes with friends over a few too many beers and laughing my ass off. I was laughing the entire night. I miss socializing. 

Anyone else losing their minds a little bit? Anyone else have a personality type (the entertainer in my case) that does not lend itself well to quarantining? When I can't make people laugh I go a little nuts, and I'm finding that seeing the "lol" on a text isn't enough. 

6 comments:

Mistress Maddie said...

I have only been out once since all this went down to have dinner with my mother. Dinning out seems to be logistically easier to do then going to bars...which we have plenty of here. I have not been to a bar or club yet...and just as well as I hear it's a hassle. They do the reservation thing here too, so it makes bar hopping and crawls impossible to do and I get why.My only source of debauchery will most likely be glamping at my friends campsite in the Poconos. We drink like fish...and the pool was great , not crowded, but they did have a mask rule in common areas at the clubhouse and pool. Felt weird wearing the mask in the pool, and will make for a most intresting tan line.

LL Cool Joe said...

Unfortunately I seem to be coping with the lockdown a little too well as I'm anti social git. But I do miss going to our house in AZ, but I can't see that happening for a while.

Mr. Shife said...

Glad you got to spend some time with your buddies. I am like Joe and don't mind being anti-social. I have the family, the dog and my blog to keep me entertained I guess.

Jon said...

I watched that game, along with a few other ballgames this week, and the empty stands just get to me. It's weird, like watching a Braves game in the late 80's.

Mr. Shife said...

What is up, Dr. Ken?

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Mistress: Seems like you have lots of fun with or without the bars.

LL: It can be a drag for sure, but that one night of fun every now and again keeps us going.

Shife: That's the way to do it, Shife. The simple life. I just get depressed and restless so easily. I need other outlets I suppose.

Jon: I remember Dale Murphy used to knock out many a dinger versus my Cubbies in the 80's.

Uplay: Think this an advertisement that sneaked through, but thanks.

Shife: Thanks for coming back and nagging me. I need to be held accountable. I have been sick, but that only accounts for a few days of the 5 or so I missed. And even then, it only takes a second. I gotta step it up!!! Hopefully my new post is funny enough to make up for the absence.