Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Ancient Album Review Part 1

As you may have read a couple posts ago, my girlfriend moved into my tiny apartment, and I needed to make some space.  One such consolidating project was putting my hundreds and hundreds of CD's into a book.  I have thought about doing this a number of times, but ultimately I find it hard to part with the plastic cases because I like to see the stickers to know where I bought them, or a sticker that says "hold for Kenneth," which means someone at the record store I worked at put it on hold for me.  And while it's easy to put the booklet of the CD into the flip book, sometimes I couldn't just throw away the back cover or the owe that could be seen when you open up the case - so that artwork just had to be stuffed in there as well.

Opening up all these discs was very nostalgic for me, and I thought I would share my memories and impressions of one disc with all of you: "Cosmic Slop" by Funkadelic from 1973.  The first Funkadelic record I heard was 1971's "Maggot Brain" which totally blew me away, so I was excited when, while working at the record store, one of our regulars brought in "Cosmic Slop."  This guy always smelled like beer and cigarettes, and the disc smelled like cigarettes for some time too (I'm surprised it still doesn't).  I loved it right away, and every song still sounds amazing.  Many of these tales make up stories in the inner city, struggles that people go through, only the music is way the hell better than any gangster rap album.



1. "Nappy Dugout" - A fantastic drum track over a song that, judging by the title, is probably about vaginas.

2. "You Can't Miss What You Can't Measure" - A song about heartache and break-ups, one of which involves a guy who calls a plumber over to his house to fix the leak in his pipes because his house is covered in water, and the plumber informs him that the tears from his eyes are the source of the flooding.

3. "March To the Witches Castle" - This one is about soldiers returning from the Vietnam War and going through the "nightmare of readjustment" and all through out is a marching drum beat and a weepy guitar riff.

I gotta go . . . .

Part 2 to come . . .

No comments: