Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Oderus

I got a text the other morning while getting ready for work that said "Oderus is dead?"  I rushed to my computer to see if it were so, and sure enough, Dave Brockie, who portrays Oderus Urungus in Gwar, was pronounced dead at the age of 50.  I always give my lady a kiss goodbye before heading off to work, and on this day when I told her that Oderus was dead, she said in a sad tone "Oh, I'm sorry."  I was really touched by her saying it like that because his music is silly, his costume with the giant dick dangling down is disgusting, but she knows that I think he was one of the funniest and quick-witted rockers ever.

In case you don't know, Gwar is a band that dresses up in elaborate costumes and claim to be from another planet, trapped here on earth where they view humans as inferior morons that they like to murder on stage.  I saw them kill Snookie and her aborted fetus at a show a couple of years ago.  I saw one video where they kill the pope.  Anyone offended by this has to be a complete idiot because it's all done very tongue and cheek.

Hey, here they are appearing on Joan Rivers back when they used vague European accents.



And here is Oderus on the Fox News show "Red Eye" where he did regular appearances as an interplanetary correspondent.



My first experience with Gwar was watching the "Live from Antarctica" at a buddy's house, and I still remember the incomparable Oderus saying this:

You humans aren't a bad lot.  So long as you know your place.  And that place is face down in the dirt, digging your own grave with the bridge of your nose, with my dick up your butt.  Thank you very much.  

It's sad to see him go, especially because there really isn't a Gwar without him.  It's like the Jimmy Hendrix Experience without Jimmy Hendrix, and no - that's not an exaggeration.  

8 comments:

Henrietta Collins said...

it's very sad :( i only discovered them a few years ago, but i was looking forward to seeing them perform live one day :(

on an unrelated note...is that joan rivers's original nose?

Gorilla Bananas said...

Hah, Oderus was a funny character! It's a pity the band didn't have their own TV show like the Monkees. Nothing on Joan Rivers's face is original, Kage. She's been totally open about it!

Jimmy Fungus said...

Someone as hilarious as him deserves to be much more famous. Sadly, this is the first I've heard of him, because I have lived under a rock for decades at a time. Thankfully, he will live forever on youtube. Though he quested to destroy my human species, I really can't blame him much, and my thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

Candy's daily Dandy said...

"Oh, I'm sorry..."

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Victoria: Been a while since you have been by my page or updated! Wish you got a chance to see Gwar before it was too late. : (

Gorilla: Would have been a good TV show. I have no doubt Oderus would be able to come up with funny ideas every week, one of which would probably be murdering the Monkeys.

Fungus: Glad you are discovering him and enjoying him, even if it is post mortem. Gwar lives!

Candy: Thanks. The perfect response.

Cocaine Princess said...

I had never heard of them until I saw them on The Jerry Springer Show a few years ago. Here's the full episode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzuRYOgLts4

RE: I always give my lady a kiss goodbye before heading off to work.

-Aww that's so sweet.

Mr. Shife said...

Sorry Dr. Ken. I knew of Gwar but never got into them but you and a couple of my other friends enjoyed them and their music so they will certainly be missed. Take care.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Coke: I guess that is kind of sweet. I'm a pretty sentimental fella someone who likes metal so much.

Shife: Thanks, homey. Oderus lives on. His outfit should be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Or at least the penis should be.