Wednesday, June 03, 2015

The Great Gig In the Sky

I had this dream the other night where I was at a comedy club, or was it a strip bar?  It was hard to tell because the late great Robert Schimmel was trying to do his set on the same stage as a stripper.  I remember being pissed at the time because there were some drunks heckling him, but that's to be expected.  It's just weird trying to make jokes with a woman to your left taking her clothes off.

Here I was yelling at these jerks to shut up, but Schimmel was so understanding.  He was saying, "It's all right.  A gig's a gig."

The real life Robert Schimmel was in a car wreck in which his 19-year-old daughter was driving and the car flipped over on its side.  His son in the car was not hurt at all, his daughter sustained some injuries, but sadly, Mr. Schimmel died from his injuries.

"Yup, she has no clothes on, but listen to this . . ."

I guess I visited him in a dream state in that great Titty Bar/Comedy Club in the sky the other night.  And he was good to see him truly at peace when he said to me "A gig's a gig."

3 comments:

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Hey, Ken. Dynamite blog about another one of your damn dreams. Nobody cares about other people's dreams, but that doesn't stop you. I admire that.

Love,
Ken

Exile on Pain Street said...

I used to hear Shimmel on Howard Stern all the time. One of his best guests ever. If you think his stand-up was funny, you should hear him talk about his actual life.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Exile: Some guests are better on Howard than they are in actual stand up. Richard Jenny and Goat Boy to name a couple. Can't think of Goat Boy's actual name, you know, the guy from SNL and "Half Baked."