Sunday, October 15, 2017

Beer For the Runners

First let me get this out of the way. My son was eating chili with his hands and got it all over his sweatpants. I thought Chili Sweatpants might be a good band name, or perhaps a good album title. Mrs. Noisewater thought that should go on the blog, so there it is. Chili Sweatpants on that ass.

In other news . . .

I got an email about volunteering for the Chicago Marathon, and I saw it as a sign because I always told myself I needed to do that some day. When I ran my one and only full marathon years ago I had no one supporting me. I was so thankful for all the volunteers and random people along the way cheering my name (I had my name written on my chest, which I highly recommend for this reason). I saw this email as a good opportunity to make good on my promise to give back.

After registering online the confirmation email gave me my assignment: It said I would be giving out the free beer to the runners. Oh hell yes. I was made for this job.

When I got there the row of taps on the sunny side were all taken, and very few of the early finishing runners were coming to the dark side. Zero of the wheelchair participants (who have the early start time) came our way, and the few really competitive guys, mostly Kenyans, that came through didn't want the beer anyway. Here is a rough estimate of beer consumption based on levels of performance.

2 hour finishers: 1 out of 10 drink the beer. They all look like their entire body has gone into shock, and some are close to throwing up. One guy was wretching, and while I felt odd offering a gagging person a beer, I felt it my duty to put it out there to everyone. To be honest, some of them were so out of it after what they put their bodies through that they didn't even notice there was free beer to be had. I haven't reached the level of exhaustion where I don't notice free beer, but maybe I'm just not working hard enough. Or maybe I'm just a drunk.

3 hour finishers: 3 out of 10 drink the beer. There are fewer Kenyans now, and a few more beer swillers.

4 hour finishers: 6 out of 10 drink the beer. Now we're having some fun. I basically never have to stop pouring by this time. It's a waterfall.

5 hour finishers: Somewhere between 8 and 9 out of 10 drink the beer. And every 10 minutes someone asks if it's okay to drink two. I usually would say, "No, sir. We are not allowed to do that," as I winked at him and handed him his second. Other times I would say, "Sure, to hell with it. What are they going to do, fire me? I'm a volunteer! Drink up!" Like I said, I was made for this job.

I noticed that the maintenance guys going around to check on the kegs, replace them, and pour more ice were drinking the whole time. I didn't believe in drinking on the job myself, especially during the morning. However, we reached a point where my shift was officially over and there were still runners coming through. I couldn't just pack it in and leave after all these hard-working, albeit slower, marathoners were still trickling through the finish and every bit in need of beer as their speedier cohorts. There was no way I was leaving my post. However, since my shift time was officially over and since it was beyond noon, I figured now was an excellent time to drink on the job.

It got a lot more fun at this point. One for you, one for me. I remember one guy saying, "Can I get one more beer for my wife?" I said to him, "You don't need a story, sir. I remember on Halloween asking for one more Snickers for my little brother. I didn't have a little brother. Still don't. Here's your second beer, sir. For your knees."

I was getting a bit of a buzz on and no longer had to be jealous of them getting to drink while I had to "work," but here's the thing: I had to admit that I was a little jealous of them running the race. That feeling started for me on the train ride downtown. I was thinking back to the nerves I had the morning of the race and the fantastic playlists I made to push me through.

So I decided to sign up for next year's Chicago Marathon. I think my plan will be to run it every other year with the alternating years tapping those kegs of Goose Island 312 wheat beer and handing cups of it out to the athletes with a smile on my face all day long. It will be a fine pattern for me every fall.

7 comments:

Mistress Maddie said...

Goose Island? I think the vendor rep for them came to New Hope this summer. They were letting us drink it all afternoon at no charge. Not a bad beer. A good friend of mine runs the Chicago run. He was probably one of the ones wrenching.......

Exile on Pain Street said...

Chili Sweatpants is my rap name. DJ Chili-illy Sweatpants, to be specific.

You served marathon runners beer? Is that correct? You hand them a beer after they cross the finish line? I've never heard of such a thing. Your town is tough. The Kenyans might've been more receptive if you were handing out visas instead of beer. I couldn't run a marathon. I think I'd collapse around mile six.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Mistress: It doesn't surprise me that Goose Island were cool and letting people drink. They were very cool at this event too. Congrats to your friend! It's a big deal to run that distance, so I'm always very congratulatory.

Exile: Oooh, a rapper name is good too. Yeah, Chicago doesn't fuck around. One double-fisting guy was saying how disappointed he was in NY when they had no beer. Handing out visas!! hahahahaha

E. Rosewater said...

running a marathon, your a better man than i gunga din.

but my body probably applauds my brain.

Mr. Shife said...

I have always wanted to do a marathon but I think that ship has sailed, Dr. Ken. I think the race itself would be fine but the training would be too much. Not enough time these days. Glad you had a good time at the event and I look forward to swilling a beer with you one day. Sorry about the baby bears. At least the Bullls are going to have a great year. And by that, I mean an excellent chance at getting the number 1 draft pick.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Rosewater Brother: I only did one full marathon, but I think my body is finally recovered for my second one. After just 5 or 6 years.

Shifty: You can do it, Shife! Do the Chicago one with me! Pop the kiddos in a running stroller and get out there. Wait, they're too big for a stroller. You need a big chariot thing. Do like Ben Hur training. The Bears and Bulls are both blowing the lose on purpose strategy. Bulls big white rookie guy is breaking 3 point records. Very fortunate for him and the Bulls that Nico and Portis got in that fight so he can get the playing time and give us something worth watching!

Shirley B. Houghton said...

Really very happy to say, your post is very interesting to read. I never stop myself to say something about it. You’re doing a great job. Keep it up and here i want to share with you genuine Free psn codes survey 2019