Friday, July 13, 2018

Shit-Canned At the Grocery Store

So far I have made good on updating the old blog once a week again. You know what helped? I have a repeating entry on the calendar in my phone that reads, "Update your blog, you fucking fuck." It helps to capture that anger at myself so that my future self is reminded how mad past self is at himself. And that might be the dumbest most confusing sentence I have ever written on here, but get used to it. Because it will now be weekly again.

The other day I went to the grocery store with Baby Noisewater, and after spending an insane amount of time in traffic, I decided I had earned a drink. We have one of those fancy grocery spots with a bar inside complete with a full band playing. By 5pm it's nearly impossible to get a seat at the bar. So what a lot of customers do is get an adult beverage and sip it whilst they get their shopping done. Since it was a balmy summer evening, I decided a margarita would hit the spot.

As I'm midway through finding all the items on my list I suddenly realized that I was quite drunk. On only one drink! To me, this mason jar had to have been 80% tequila, but maybe it was a combination of a very stiff drink and a very weakened tolerance. Dr. Ken before child was going out every Friday and Saturday night. With-child (that sounds pregnant) Dr. Ken really ties one on maybe once a month. The right thing to do would be to set that glass of demon rum on the bar, but the cheap-ass and drunk-ass in me said, "We can't let this bad boy go to waste, now can we?"

I like to let Baby Noisewater pick out his fun grocery cart: Taxi, police car, fire engine, or pink car. If he picks the pink one, totally cool with me, but this time he went with the taxi. He was reaching over his steering wheel that doesn't do shit for my 'Rita and saying, "Juicy!" I tried to explain to him that it was "daddy juice" and that it was "yuck." He wasn't convinced. I was looking for some frozen fruit for smoothies. The prices are a lot better at the local members only bulk store, but I needed some now. I actually said out loud, "These prices stink!" Then Noisewater started shouting, "Prices stink! Prices stink!" He was hollering"stink" about their prices and I was stinking drunk. We were not a desirable customer combo in the fancy grocery store at this point.

Have you ever noticed that when you're drinking you want to talk people more, and if no one is around you end up talking to yourself? Well, as a social drinker that's how I operate, and having a kid in your cart is pretty much free reign to jabber to yourself like a nut. "How about some bananas? Those look a little ripe, and those shits are organic. Fuck that." Nobody bats an eye when they see you have a baby in your cart along for the ride. And forgive me if I've talked about this before, but people give you a lot of breaks when you're a dad. Everyone helps me out when I'm out and about with my kiddo. Holding doors, offering to help me carry my stroller off of the train. Sadly, I don't see this sort of support for our moms out there, and I think it's because it's expected of them to go it alone out there. Fucked up, right?

I'm going to post you a video for you to give you an idea of how goofy Baby Noisewater and I are and how much fun we have together. Just to explain, his grandfather had recently gotten him saying  Geronimo and cowabunga when he pushes him on the swings at the park. Baby Noisewater just knows inherently that cowabunga is funny word. I'm proud of him because he talks a lot for his age, he is polite, he is friendly, and he is loving. All that is great. But the number one thing by far that makes me proud is that he is funny. That's important to me. Tell me he is not funny in this clip? That gag of him biting the book is hilarious and then he says, "eat." He had never done that before. It just came to him. Quite the natural improv. The guy seems to know what gets a laugh out of people, and then he beats it to death like a dead horse, just like his old man. He's a good dude and a solid shopping companion when I'm all burracho'd up on a potent margarita, crossing items off of my grocery list.



It's Friday, my Seven Readers. Tip something back and enjoy it. I booked a sitter and I'm taking the lady out for a nice dinner. What do you have on tap?


6 comments:

LL Cool Joe said...

Haha that video is too cute.

Wow, I like the idea of walking around the supermarket pissed out of my mind. I can't believe the amount of people that come up and talk to me when I'm holding my Granddaughter, if I were on the lookout for a new partner I'd definitely use her as a dating tool. Ha.

Mr. Shife said...

Glad to see the blog has been brought back to life. I imagine being grocery shopping a little loopy is definitely more interesting than the alternative. Loved the video of you and the Baby Noisewater. You are doing good work, Dr. Ken. The video brought back a lot of memories of when Kyle and Hayden were that age. Enjoy the ride, my friend, as it goes by way too fast.

Mistress Maddie said...

For his size..those are some big words!!!! Priceless video... maybe he will grown up to be a comedienne? He definitely has your looks and humor.


On a side note, where is this supermarket? As your aware I like a tibble of gin here and there...….


Glad to see your back dude!

Exile on Pain Street said...

A grocery store with a live band and a bar? Did I read that right? I've never heard of such a thing. Aren't they kind of overreaching? I could do one or the other but both. Careful with that drive home, Eugene.

That's a great vid. More of those to come, too. You'll see. My bride and I saw Mike Birbiglia on Saturday. Do you know who that is?

TOPolk said...

Wow. I disappear from the blogosphere for a few years and you went off and had a kid. Hope all is well sir.

- TOPolk

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

L.L.: It can really help a man muster up the energy to go shopping.

Shifty: It goes by so damn fast for sure. Do you ever want to be a vampire and bite them so that they stay the same age for eternity like in "Interview With a Vampire?" Me neither.

Mistress: I like Mariano's the best, but you can get drunk while you shop at Whole Foods too.

Exile: We drink a lot in the midwest. We find ways to drink while doing most anything. I DO know the comedy of Mike Birbiglia, even if I'm almost sure I'm spelling it wrong. I love comedians.

ToPolk: I thought you would have seen the odd baby post on Facebook, although most of that stuff I do on Instagram. I like to separate the two. I actually don't like when people post the same thing on both, but that's just me. I'm going to head to your blog and see if you're still on there! Haven't seen you blog in ages. Since the hey day.