Wednesday, August 24, 2011

LSD's Going Away Playlist: Volume 2 of 4

As this is the second installment in this series, if you already know the purpose of the list, just skip down to have a look at the songs, otherwise, have a look at the intro:

I have been working on writing the "liner notes" for the playlist for discs I made for LSD, my girlfriend, who is going away from Chicago and Dr. Ken for two years to attend grad school in California, and I thought I would share the songs and notes with my beloved Seven Readers.

There are 28 total songs, so I will post 7 songs at a time. As always, be sure to hit pause on the player on the right side of the page if you want to play the song clips. Let me know what you think!

Hey, LSD!


I hope you like these songs. I tried to pick ones that hold some sort of significance, and my hope is that they make at least 153 minutes of your drive to Cali enjoyable.


Perhaps one day you’ll come across this mix and smile.


They’re in alphabetical order by the name of the song, and I actually listened to each song as I wrote the notes for each one.


Enjoy!


LSD Cali Mix 1 (part 2) – Liner Notes


8. Led Zeppelin “Going to California”


Okay, again, not so creative, but I really do like this live version with the country lap steel guitar sound. “Took my chances on a big jet plane. Never let them tell you that they’re all the same.” Also, I think this line applies, given your undertaking: “Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams, telling myself it's not as hard, hard, hard as it seems."




9. Travis “Hit Me, Baby, One More Time”


I mostly put this on here because you went to Britney in the second row, or whatever, but also this is a good version to have because it’s hard to find. I read an article with the Travis guy, who I think is an incredible singer, and he said that they started doing the song as a joke, but eventually he put so much heart and soul into it that the words began to mean something to him. “Oh baby I shouldn’t have let you go . . . My loneliness is killing me . . .” I can see why those words might mean something to a guy like myself.




10. Motley Crue “Home Sweet Home.”


Yes, this is a hair metal ballad, but it’s pretty awesome. It’s surprising you don’t hear this one at the bar more like you do with “Livin’ on a Prayer.” The song has that message of being home sweet home, coming down that long and winding road to be with your loved one, or whatever, but it also needs to be on this list just to add some rock and balls.




11. Whitney Houston “I Will Always Love You.”


This song is pretty craptacular, but it will always make me laugh thinking about you belting it out the window on the way back from the same wedding as track 5. You were just going for broke, voice cracking from some of the harder notes, but pretty much nailing it – at least I thought so, but I was drunk. Hope you sing it with at least half of that gusto when you hear it now.**




12. Method Man and Mary J. Blige “I’ll Be There For You


The original song already had some good sentiments, but Meth delivers lines like “all that romance crap to show you love.” Okay, that’s not such a good part, but I like when he says “Even when the skies were gray, you would rub me on my back and tell me ‘baby it will be okay.’” FYI there is around two minutes where they break it on down where I wouldn’t be mad if you skipped it. I just wanted to get some good rap on this list.***




13. Milli Vanilli “I’m Gonna Miss You”


Okay, this one came up when I did a search for “miss,” and I laughed my ass off. If you don’t have fond memories of this song, I understand if you give it a skip. I just picture those goofy dread locked dudes from Germany lip syncing with the record skipping and smile every time. Still, I think it’s kind of a sweet song.


"But there was nothin' I could do to make you stay
I'm gonna miss you"


or


"Giving all the love I feel for you

couldn't make you change your point of view

You're leavin'.

Now I'm sittin' here, Wastin' my time
I just don't know what I should do"




14. Neutral Milk Hotel “In the Aeroplane Over the Sea.”


I remember lying in the bed over by your place, and you asked me to keep playing “pretty songs” on the iTunes. I recall that you liked this one, and I liked how it felt lying next to you listening to it. I figure there will be many “Aeroplanes” in our future over the next couple of years, not necessarily over seas, but lakes and rivers for sure.

This line is good:


"What a beautiful face
I have found in this place
That is circling all round the sun"

And so is this one:


"And one day we will die
And our ashes will fly from the aeroplane over the sea
But for now we are young
Let us lay in the sun
And count every beautiful thing we can see
Love to be
In the arms of all I'm keeping here with me."



-------------------------------------------------------------

*This isn't the version of "Going to California" that I put on there, the actual one being the version from the "How the West Was Won" disc.

**Okay, that's not Whitney, but that kid is putting it down, whether he knows what he's saying or not.

***This youtube is also a slightly different version, and I think I like it better than the one I put on her disc. Darn!

4 comments:

JerseySjov said...

oh my god. that kid singing whitney... the phrase "asian male susan boyle" gets thrown around a lot these days, but he really nailed it.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Jov: Yeah, that fat kid BROUGHT it!

Mr. Shife said...

Nice list, Dr. Ken. Does this mean you will making some trips out to Cali to visit LSD? Well cool beans and I hope whatever you two young kids do works out great for the both of you. Take care buddy.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Shife: Thanks, brother. I already got a flight booked for the end of September (200 bucks on Virgin America). Did you see in the last list where I asked her if she'd be driving through the "land of potatoes?" That was an homage to Shifey.