Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Drag Race Preview

I'm going to publish this over at Starpulse, but I wanted to give you, my Seven Readers, a sneak preview of a write up I did on the show, Rupaul's Drag Race. Sorry, there are no pictures. I let Starpulse do that because they actually get permission for all their photos. I'll be sure to let you know when it goes live so that you can see what they do with it, as they usually do a pretty good job. If you catch any typos or grammar issues, go ahead and email me at thegancer@yahoo.com if you like. Here it is . . .

Have you seen this thing? This is the second season of this show, but it’s new to me, so I’m going to break it down for you, as I was surprisingly sucked into it. It’s just what you would expect, unless you expected drag queens physically racing: a number of transvestites compete in various competitions until one diva with caked on makeup, lofty ambitions, and a pronounced Adam’s Apple is left standing.

The theme of this show, or at least the third of the episode I caught, was a drag wedding, and as the “ladies” were putting together their gowns, things got heated. Apparently everyone hates one named Tyra, who was pasting on dress accents onto her bare skin with a hot glue gun and screaming like a girl. Well, I guess she is supposed to scream like a girl if she’s trying to be one, but this was really annoying. Besides, as one other drag queen pointed out, who uses hot glue on their own skin? The same guy/gal that pointed this out went on to say something like, “That’s right, bitch. Burn yourself.” This drag race was dangerously close to turning into a drag fight!

The contestants all came out in their dresses and pranced around, and it was about what you would expect, but then they showed wedding photos of them posing with the male versions of themselves in tuxedo’s, and that was just creepy. You have to really love yourself to want to put on outfits of both sexes to take a picture of you marrying yourself. What we really learned from this from seeing them as men next to the women versions of themselves is that it takes a really, really skinny man to be a somewhat convincing drag queen. So, as a woman they usually have manly bone structured faces and big “man hands,” and as men they are emaciated skinny. Either way, not ideal, but these drag queens seem to be loving life either way . . .

The judges picked the ones who faired the worst in the wedding bit, and, for those two, it was time to: “Lip sync for your life!” The winner would stay, and the loser would be cast off with Rupaul’s not-so-great catch phrase: “Sashay away?” They both did a good, enthusiastic job getting the judges’ attention, but ultimately the one who did a jump off the stage into a split was the winner. That really should have disqualified him or at least warranted an immediate genital check because how could he do that if he truly had a set of . . .

Anyway, this show is worth taking a look at because it’s doubtful you have seen anything like it. As for Rupaul, he/she is still prettier than around 70 or 80% of the contestants, but he/she is showing his/her age a little. After all, it was the early 1990’s that he/she had a hit. However, in his/her day, he/she would have been far, far more convincing than any of these contestants. Okay, that was a long way to go for that point, especially with all of those his/hers and he/she’s. Exhausting.

My only regret is that I didn’t see the episode just prior to this one, which was in a game show format: The Snatch Game. Biologically speaking, that just can’t be what it sounds like. It just can’t be . . .

4 comments:

JerseySjov said...

ahh my roommate texted me about that tonight, but i couldn't watch because we only get vh1 on one tv and my dad was watching that tv.

for what it's worth, i make a really good looking guy at my school's annual drag ball. people don't realize that it's me!

ADW said...

I am way too into that show.

You can see ALL of the old episodes - even season one - on logotv.com

Don't hate me if you get addicted.

Heff said...

I.....think I'll respectfully decline watching this program. Sorry.

Anonymous said...

There was a marathon of this show a couple weeks ago and the gf was watching it... then I got sucked into watching it with her. Quite entertaining I must say. And they LOVE calling each other bitch... a lot!