Sunday, June 10, 2012

I saw Roger Waters from Pink Floyd play "The Wall" the Other Night . . .


. . . and here are some thoughts.

1. Roger aged very well into that big face of his, and believe it or not, he is a better looking 65-year-old man than a 25-year-old.

Here he is from the other night














And here he is in the Nineteen Seventies















There were ladies there saying that he looked like Richard Gere.  Yes.  Heart throb and American gigalo Richard Gere.  And these were young and attractive girls saying this.  Girls who would have no idea that back in the day he looked like Georges Muresan.  Of course they didn't know this because few really knew what rockers looked like back then, before the MTV days.  No band will ever make as many amazing records as Pink Floyd for a myriad of reasons, but one is that Roger could just be ugly and make art without people caring what he looked like, what brands he was wearing, or who his date was to the Grammies. 

(This guy didn't put out "Animals in 1977, but he is 7'7" and uglier than just about any animal.)




















2. The show was at Wrigley Field, which is where the Cubs play and my favorite place on planet earth, so how could I miss the guy from my favorite band in my favorite place?  One thing you may know about me is that I love a good urinal trough.  What I noticed is that a lot of the people there were not the usual ballgame crowd, so they were shy and waiting for the stalls.  No way all those fellas had to go poop - they just didn't want to join in the trough fun.

Gross, yes.  But more efficient.  










3. During ''Young Lust," the one about him figuring out his wife was cheating on him so he decided to bang every groupie he could get his hands on, they showed very hot and naked women on a giant screen.  As a man in a long-distance relationship, it was all I could do to stop myself from flying in my girlfriend that very night.  Earlier in the show a bunch of little kids sang the chorus for "Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2," and my partner in crime that night, James Douglass Morison, said, "I hope those kids aren't still here.  They're all going to get their first wood tonight."


(She's naked right about 2:35)

4. When "Run Like Hell" was playing it reminded me of when I ran my first race as an adult.  I believe it was only 5 miles, but that was really hard for me back then because I was a long haired doughy guy who rarely worked out.  While running the race, my long stupid hair flopping around in a stupid pony tail, they played "Run Like Hell" over the loud speaker, and I just remember clapping along and feeling really good.  So, among all the other reasons I have to thank Roger and the remaining, surviving members of Pink Floyd, I can thank them for getting me into running, the thing that keeps me sane, where I can think straight, and put my universe back in order.  Thanks for everything, Floyd.

8 comments:

Heff said...

Thanks for the nudity.

"Animals" is my fav Floyd album of all time.

James Douglas Morrison said...

Great show, glad you went. You are one of the few people I know that appreciates music from that time.

sybil law said...

I've seen him twice - and it is a fantastic show!

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Heff: I love "Animals." And nudity. The guitar playing on Dogs is badass - very emotive.

JDM: You know me. I just take it as it comes.

Sybil: The guy can still put it down. You have to hand it to him.

Henrietta Collins said...

i totally skipped the video to 2:35.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Kage: Haha. What did you think?

Michael5000 said...

Troughs are the second best thing to your own backyard on a summer night.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

5000: yeah, a squirt on your own damn lawn is pretty bomb.