Monday, July 16, 2012

So I get a phone call this morning from downtown saying that there has been a change in my assignment and there was going to be a change in my schedule.  Then this woman, in a very matter of fact way, informed me that I would no longer be at the same office.  I told her this was not good news for me, and then she tried to explain that a lot of people like the hours I would have.  I let her know that it's not the schedule that bothers me, it's the fact that place has been like my home, like a family.  She apologized but told me that there is nothing they can do with so many retirees this past year, them not hiring anyone else because of the budget, and assignments going to people with more seniority.

After I was done talking to her, as I thought more about missing all these people I have come to know and love, I started to cry.  I only cry about once every two or three years, so that's kind of a big deal.  Then as I'm pumping my iPod full of aggressive heavy metal music to go on an angry therapeutic run, the same woman calls me back to tell me that because I seemed upset about that decision, she was able to move some things around and keep me at the same place.  They will let me know for sure by the end of the week.

So all that crying for nothing?  Not really because I think this happened to make me appreciate what a great job I have, somewhere I love going every morning, and how that could all change any day.

5 comments:

Gorilla Bananas said...

Are you going to tell your work colleagues about this? They might shed a few tears themselves.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

yes. they were bummed too. hopefully it will all work out and i can stay where i'm at.

Michael5000 said...

Huh. I thought you were a teacher.

HeatherLynn said...

As someone who recently (in the last year) switched jobs from one I used to love, where like you, my co-workers were like family to me, to a bigger better paying job where NOBODY is like family, I know exactly how you feel. And if you love where you work, be thankful because having a sense of "home" and "family" in those you work with is a huge plus!

I miss my old co-workers every day...it's just not the same without them. :/

*hugs you*

Glad your scare might be avoided! I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya!

~hl~
www.heatherlynnosting.blogspot.com

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

5000: My profile says agriculture.

Lyn: Thanks for the support! Hopefully things work out for both of us.

Sybil: Yes. I must have tugged at her heart strings with my powerful guilt tripping.

Elliot: I would probably average around that too, or more. We're probably about the same. I bet you grow facial hair better . . .