Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Scene:

Jackson and Maya run in the same social circle and have been falling in love with one another over the past few months, and at this point, they have always stopped themselves at kissing. The only problem is, Maya is engaged to another man. The two have agreed to back off from one another until she has figured her situation out, as she says she's not being fair to all three people - something Jackson agrees with, but on this night, in a crowded bar, after numerous drinks, he just couldn't take it anymore.

The two keep sharing glances that alternate between smiles, looks of desperation, and looks of outright sadness. Suddenly, Jackson plays off like he's walking past her to go to the bathroom, but instead, he takes her hand, and leads her to a corner of the bar where they can talk. Granted, it's still loud from the music, but there is slightly less screaming and lousy singing there from the clientele.


Maya: Jackson, I can't.

Jackson: No, don't worry because I didn't pull you over to plant a kiss on you, although I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thinking of it all night.

Maya: Yeah, me too, but . . .

Jackson: Well, don't worry about it because I'm a man of my word. Yes, I think this guy is a tremendous asshole, and an asshole that seems unwilling to change, and the brand of asshole destined to make you miserable - but here's the thing: I said I would "back off," and I am. I just want to know a few things because I can't just move on until this thing is settled. I can't go on thinking "what if."

Maya: Okay, what do you need to know.

Jackson: I have been thinking that maybe we've been idealizing each other because of our respective situations - because we know we can't go through with it. But, maybe we'd never work out to begin with. Maybe there is a big fat deal breaker that we haven't even thought of. For instance, when one person is a lousy kisser, everyone knows a suck-ass kisser is game over, but that's not a problem for us. In fact, that seemed pretty damn incredible on this end . . .

Maya: Yes. No problems there.

Jackson: Right . . . So, I thought of a few others that might spell disaster, and that way I can move on.

Jackson unfolds a crumpled up piece of paper that he has to stand awkwardly to pry out of his jeans pocket.

Maya: I guess you have given this some thought.

Jackson: Yes. I think about you all the damn time. I have "backed off" really effectively, per your request, and I've been all business around you, so you can't even tell, but you're on my mind constantly. You're absolutely killing me.

Maya: Yeah. I think about you too, but . . .

(Brief pause)

Jackson: So, number one, are you like a die hard Republican? It's not a subject that ever came up, but if you have extremely right-thinking politics, like you hate homosexuals or certain ethnicities, that would gross me out to no end.

Maya: (Laughs) No. I'd say I'm pretty liberal, Jackson, so that's out. What else ya' got?

Jackson: Damn it! Next up, where do you stand on religion because I'm an agnostic bordering on atheist, and it's highly unlikely that I'll ever "find God," so if you're looking for a religious guy, that's just not happening.

Maya: I think we have talked about this, and I'm pretty sure I told you that I was raised Catholic, God's a part of my life, but I don't go to church to talk to him.

Jackson: Aha! But would it bother you if the person you're with for the rest of your life is a non believer, and would you raise your kids Catholic?

Maya: No and no.

Jackson: Well, shit and shit!! Next up . . .

Maya: Stop right there. I completely get what you're doing, but I don't think finding one of these deal breakers is going to help you with whatever you're going through here.

Jackson: Well, how do you know? And don't say it's just me going through it because we know that's not true. Now, come on, I only have eleven more.

Maya: No, I'm not doing this anymore.

(Maya starts to leave and Jackson jumps in front of her)

Jackson: Wait, first off, you're saying you get why I'm doing this, but I'm not sure you do. I'm in love with you, and I can't keep seeing you and not tell you this. The reason I want to find a way that we can't possibly work is because I can't move on until I figure out you and I. I'm dating women, and I can't stand any of them because none of them are you. I'm trying with them. I'm sleeping with them, and that makes me feel even worse because my heart's never in it. My heart's with you. Okay, that sounded gay, but . . . I don't know, Maya - I just feel something, and I, like, never feel anything, and that has to mean something, right?

To be continued? Maybe, but that's all I have written right now.

8 comments:

Radioactive Tori said...

You have to continue it because I am dying to know what happens. You are an awesome writer, that's for sure.

Also? Maya is my dogs name and Jackson is a boy my daughter likes. At first it was hard to not see them in my head as I read but then I kind of got lost in the story and forgot about that.

sister said...

I think the guy should not be wearing skinny jeans, it may impact his ability to have religionless children later in life. :)

Spiky Zora Jones said...

what the...sleeping with someone while sleeping with me...is a deal breaker.

But I like the honesty.

i want the rest of the story...um, more please. :)

latyer honey...very well written.
ciao. xx

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Radio: Thanks for the props and sorry for the confusion with the names. They're names of the two leads in the play I'm halfway through writing, although this scene might not tie in there anywhere.

Sis: Yeah. I just liked the image of him shifting all funny to reach them in his tight, hipster jeans - maybe not so tight that they reduce his sperm count.

Zora: I envisioned them only kissing at this point - stopping themselves. I didn't clarify that, but I did now since you pointed that out. Still, even if they were doing it, is he supposed to wait around for her if she's engaged and still planning on going through with it? Tricky business.

Glad you liked the writing, and thanks for pointing that out cause I think it helps that I changed the setup for people. : )

Andrew said...

I agree that you should continue this. I simply MUST know what happens next.

Mr. Shife said...

Nice work Dr. Ken. I always enjoy stopping by because I know I am in for a special treat every time. Looking forward to the rest of the story.

Spiky Zora Jones said...

i have a short story of just that...something like the graduate...but no cougar mom lurking about. It's subtext so it's not for everyone...unless one likes girl girl love. It's a comedy/drama.

love makes us do crazy things...ever notice how there's a lot of waiting when love is concerned. you wait for her or him to call or notice you. we wait for the right time to have sex...even when they both want it on the first date.

we are so screwed up.

later hon.

later sweetie.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Drew: I may. Just don't where to take it. I'm good at writing random scenes but not so good at shaping big projects.

Shife: You're too kind. Have a Keystone for me. : )

Zora: Love is a muthafucka. I want to read your lezbo love story!!