Monday, April 02, 2012

The other night my lady and I were in Cody's, a great Chicago cozy dive bar, and there were like 3 dogs in there (it's a very dog-friendly bar), and for whatever reason a Filipino man was telling us how he ate dogs when he was a kid.  I thought this was interesting because while I have heard of this a lot, never have I met someone who openly talked about having done it.  He said they would have a pet dog, but then one day their dad would cook him up and they would all eat the son of a bitch.

Naturally, I had some questions, as I always do.  You would imagine he has to skin the thing to get all the fur off, so how do you just skin and gut the family dog after playing fetch and teaching him to sit and shake  all those years?  He explained that it is a third world country, so they had to do what they had to do to survive, which helped it make a little more sense to me.

Then again, I wasn't too sensitive to the subject to ask when a pizza arrived for him if he got any dog toppings on there?  He obviously wasn't offended, thankfully, when he responded, "I wish, bro!"

3 comments:

sybil law said...

Ewwwww.

Radioactive Tori said...

Dissecting a cat that I only met when it was already dead was emotionally tough for me this semester. I can't imagine doing that to an animal I had known. I also haven't ever been starving so I have no idea how I'd feel about it in that situation and would never judge someone who had. But it still makes me sad to think about.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Sybil: Come on! Eat a damn dog! He won't even know cause he'll be a dead dog. Eat it!!!!!!!

Radio: Don't be sad. It's funny. St. Bernard topping on a pizza? Funny!