Monday, April 30, 2012

The Top 5 Reasons People Run Marathons

5. Running is a time to sort you mind out, and most runners will tell you that it's the time where they can think most clearly.

4. It is man versus nature.  It is man versus the open road, and we're drawn to those sorts of conflicts, battles of wills.

3. It promotes good cardiovascular health, and with a race looming around the corner, it motivates us to keep training on those days where we want to sleep in.

2. Once you do a race, you want to do a longer one.  Then when you do a half-marathon, inevitably someone says to you, "Anyone who can do a half can do a full."  That goes in the back of your head, and the next time you want to sign up for another half, you think about that.

1. We run marathons so we can feel superior to people who haven't.  Never mind the rest of the list.  It's mostly just this one.

6 comments:

sybil law said...

Aaaah, runners.... so silly.

:)

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Sybil: If you didn't have me on FB, you might think that Captain America is me. Actually, he is what I would look like if I stopped running for about 2 weeks.

Michael5000 said...

Have you ever read Dean Karnazes? He's the guy who ran 50 marathons in 50 days. It's funny, because when he writes about it he doesn't even seem particularly psychotic.

I ran off and on for like 25 years, and then one day I started enjoying it. Books on mp3 help. Also, having a self-indulgent hobby that SEEMS like virtuous work, even to Mrs.5000, is a real godsend.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Michael: Those extreme guys blow me away. I actually met a woman who does 50 miles at a crack. Double a marathon? The I know Iron Man people. Come on! Glad you enjoy a good run, 5000. I knew you were all right . . .

Michael5000 said...

I ain't so bad. I just started Haruki Murikami's "What I Write About When I Write About Running" which is kind of kicking my butt; you might like it too.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

I'm checking that out right now . . .