Saturday, July 07, 2018

This has certainly been the longest period between blog updates. It probably looked like I retired. What's worse, it probably looks like I had an ass surgery (last post) and that made me hang up my blogging shoes. Nope, it is just laziness. I think I have convinced myself that I'm not as funny as I used to be, that I'm not as good of a writer, and I don't get inspiration of interesting ideas coming to me like I used to. These are all probably true, but the trick is just sitting down and typing. Something will come to me that way, and I'll get better in all those areas the more I keep at it.

So what is new? I'm moved into the new condo. We really do like it a lot over here. Erik isn't even two-years-old yet, and when we are in the car and I turn on the block he says, "home-home." It already feels like home to him, and that's really great. The neighbors are all very nice, and Erik even has a friend of his own across the hall named Cole. The block is very quiet and almost suburban, but then you can walk to things easily that feel very much urban. So, it's a best of both worlds. Mrs. Noiswater and I finally feel like grown folks.

As some of you know I have the summertime off every year. I'm keeping busy by taking Erik Noisewater to as many free activities as I can find (I also don't get paid in the summer). I devised a schedule where he has stuff to do every day. A given week will look something like this:

Monday: Drive him out to the suburbs to see his grandparents. I'll usually do a long run on those days because I'm marathon training. It turns out piling miles onto legs that are 7 years older than my last marathon is a lot harder.

Tuesday: Run him with the running stroller over to Wrigley Field for a singing and dancing thing in the little park outside the ballpark. Stay for the water spraying everywhere and let him go nuts. The kid loves water.

Wednesday: Story time at the library. We have a women's bookstore that does one too. I really hope they don't tell me and Erik to take our asses and penises out of there. Just kidding, I'm sure they are very welcoming to all. We live in a heavily gay and lesbian neighborhood. I'm trying to find a local bar that isn't a predominately gay one. I can hang out a gay one, but I think my go to one would be good if it were a straight one, right?. That sounds so shitty to say that, but I think it's hard to explain myself and the more I do the bigger asshole I sound like. Let's move onto Thursday.

Thursday: Take him to the free public zoo so he can look at all kinds of fun animals. But usually he just wants to find the construction trucks and gets pumped about riding the bus. He's a city kid for sure.

Friday: Drop him off at daycare so I can work on my online classes. I'm trying to knock out three classes this summer so I can bump up my pay scale. That's the only reason. Almost none of the stuff will I ever be putting into practice. It is boring as hell so I lock myself in a coffee shop so there are no easy ways to distract myself.

Pretty much I'm just really happy. It turns out having kids and a family is fun as hell. I guess I always thought it would just be so hard and boring. Hardly. There was a time where I wished I was rich and famous, but you know what? It fucking sucks to be famous right now. They are all caught up in some "me too" scandal, or they're in a messy divorce, or they have reporters following them everywhere. Sure, I'm finding free shit all over the city to do because I need to save dough, but I like my life this way. I actually would not trade places with any celebrity.

How are you feeling, readers? About the same or is there a celebrity you secretly wish you could switch places with?

5 comments:

Kono said...

Funny how that parenthood thing works out innit? i was the last person you'd think would be down with that gig but man do i love it, even when the boyos are driving me batshit crazy...

As i tell the boyos all the time, fame is a curse and the things people do to attain it are disgusting, when they tell me about famous You-Tubers and the like i shake my head (and feel like a grumpy old man), i explain to them celebrity is like a drug and quote Warhol's famous 15 minute maxim, then explain that these days most famous people really don't have any talent other than being famous, the reality TV/Kardashian effect, it's a vast wasteland of shite, nothing more...

Stay tuned to the lounge for photos of the gear attained in Jamaica... i do love the edibles though when eating them i advise erring on the side of caution (which i sometimes forget, lol!) the ganja cake was delicious and had me giggling to my own inner dialogue all day, just got some gummies that will put you on your ass if you're not careful, needless to say Friday night i was not careful, the beauty is no hangover, among other things...

Exile on Pain Street said...

Isn't forced learning the worst? I've never been good at it. I can't manufacture any enthusiasm for dull tasks. You're a better man than I am.

Good that you're spending time with your son. This will pay huge dividends pschologically for both of you. It's a great source of joy.

I kind of wish I was David Sedaris. That guy has the life. Keep writing best sellers and traveling the world. Adored by the masses. His latest might be his best.

Sista said...

I'm so happy for you!!!

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Kono: All valid points about fame. Famous people now seek the fame without taking any pride in the quality of art they are creating. I heard Snoop on Stern the other day talking about how in his day rappers had to actually be good. Snoop honed his skills engaging in rap battles in prison, and these cats today just throw raps up on YouTube without even practicing and people and they sometimes get that instant fame! The bands aren't out in the club anymore getting their set tighter. They're just skipping right to the video. You're right about the youtuber thing too. Kids think they can make a living just by talking to a camera. But you have to have something to say, right? Ugh. ANYWAY, the daddy gig is fun, and it sounds like you're keeping your boys grounded.

Exile: These are the good times, my friend. I will try to remember to keep my guy exposed to high culture like you seem to with your kids, always getting them to museums and the like. I'll have to check out David's new one. I loved "Me Talk Pretty One Day" back in the day. That was just about the first humor book I read, and now I have read tons of them. Rock bios and funny poeple is what I mostly read. But I read that fiction makes the brain work harder because you have to keep track of plot lines and characters, so I started mixing in more fiction to exercise my margarita-soaked brain.

Sista: Thanks! It's a good time. Most of the time it's just fun. I don't know why I had it built in my head that it would mostly stress.

tony said...

Your Writing Looks Fine To Me :) Great Blog!