Wednesday, July 15, 2015

The other night I met my good buddy, Southie, for some margaritas and Mexican food before attending a Chicago Cubs game together.  On my way out I used the establishment's ATM for some cash.  My money didn't come out, and when I called my bank to see if the $200 I requested and didn't get was taken out of my account, it was as well as random attempts at taking $20 and another $40.  I cancelled my card and made a claim about those transactions.  Important tip: If a machine ever says there will be no receipts given, cancel right away.

Fast forward a week later when I'm at the bank cashing a check and ask for a printout of my last 20 transactions to be sure there is no more funny business on my account, and there are numerous withdrawals of $500 from an ATM I have never been to on the far west side.  I am freaking out at this point, and while the cashier is looking into it for me she suddenly says, "Oh.  This printout isn't from your account.  This is someone else's."

What?  You're just handing me information on someone else's bank account and scaring the crap out of me?  To tell you the truth, I was so relieved that all was okay that I didn't even give the woman a hard time.  I have worked a lot of jobs, and in every single one of them I have made colossal stupid mistakes.  I truly believe that all is well that ends well, and there is just no need to yell at someone at times like this.  She knows she screwed up bad.  Me hollering at her won't make her get that any more.  Me yelling at the Cubs didn't help them beat the evil Whitesox that afternoon either.  But I did it anyway.

5 comments:

Gorilla Bananas said...

So the money that didn't come out - where did it go? I don't see how a thief got it unless he was hiding inside the wall somewhere. You reasons for not yelling at the woman were logical - Spock wouldn't have yelled at her either.

Jimmy Fungus said...

I always wondered how often this kinda thing happens with ATM machines. The other day at the bank I was pouring my change into the change machine, and the only way to prove that you poured your change in there is the little slip of paper that pops out afterwards. As I was putting my change in I was actually thinking, "Hmmph, what happens if that slip of paper doesn't come out." Sure enough, it happened and no slip of paper... I don't know if I am psychic or my negative energy broke the change machine.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Gorilla: No idea how the thieving works, but it was highly suspicious. Spock wouldn't have yelled, but he may have given her neck a good pinching.

Jimmy: You most certainly did create your own destiny by thinking about would if the ticket doesn't print. I believe in ESP but only when it's done on accident and when it screws things up.

Exile on Pain Street said...

You have a depth of understanding that's rare and admirable. How did you achieve this placid state of Zen understanding? Especially living in a large metropolitan area AND being a Cubs fan? You'd have thought that volatile mix would've resulted in a big shouting match. Well done, sir.

The Grand Wave said...

I had an STD test come back one time that had all of the boxes for random afflictions come back as negative, with the exception of one box that wasn't checked at all. I super freaked out and called the doctor who verified that it too, was negative. When I asked about why it hadn't been checked the nurse said someone probably just forgot. I was not happy at all but I was too freaked out to yell or anything. Not zen, just freaked out. Not that this had much to do with bank receipts, but still.