Monday, December 09, 2019

My wife and I quit on shows at an unbelievable rate. Sometimes we are midway through the pilot episode when we have decided we don't need that particular show taking up time in our lives. Do you know what the best quality in a series is for all ages, all over the world, based on my research of a handful of people I have talked to? Running time. If a show is only 30 minutes compared to 60 it instantly moves up the top of the Netflix queue. There is only so much time in the day when you're a working parent, so why waste it on a show you don't like that much. And oh, what a relief when you and your partner agree to shit can a show! Goodbye, Billy Bob Thornton. You're my boy and I'll watch you in just about anything, but this third season of Goliath with all the dream sequences and where I'm unable to tell what's real and what's drug induced . . . I don't have the energy at the end of the day to figure all that crap out!

But I will tell you one show that I stuck it out with even though some of the time I was thinking, why in the Sam Hill am I still watching this . . . Dark Crystal Age of Resistance! The puppet movie in the 1980's scared the hell out of me, and maybe that is why I got excited when I heard about a full series prequel. Yes, there are those times where it honest to God felt like work to get through it. But then I reminded myself of all the hard work that went into moving all those puppets around and creating entire worlds with very little help from computers in an age of lazy filmmaking. And plus I'm a big fan of Jim Henson and thoroughly enjoyed his biography a couple years back. It kind of felt like getting through War and Peace. How many people have quit on that book? And the ones that did stick it out probably can't shut up about it, and that's how I feel about my deep understanding of the planet Thrash's and the origin of the races of Gelfling, Skeksis, and Mystics.

But that's the only one I will gut out like that. All other shows get shit canned on a whim so that I can get back to raising children, being a decent husband, working out, and getting back to posting a blog every day. Got 3 in a row going so far . . .

4 comments:

Mistress Maddie said...

ha ha ha!!! That same movie scared the hell out of me too. And for some reason still like watching it.

I gave up on a lot of American tv. I watch maybe 5 or 6 shows. Most of what I watch are Brit dramas comedies and sleuth shows. Makes me feel a bit high brow, to cover up my loose, gay boy living, bwahahahahahaha!!!!!!

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

I probably would feel cooler watching a British one and being that guy that says, "I never watched The Office from America, but I loved the original from England. That guy . . . . .. . .

Kono said...

You know the last tv show i watched was Breaking Bad, if i'm in front of the telly it's usually for the Pens, Palace, or any other futbol match cuz i got a futbol problem. And wanted to point you towards an old post in the lounge about meeting the Flaming Lips (and then taking a boatload of mushrooms) two posts actually, back to back from August/Sept? last year... think you'll dig it.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Kono: I'm going to go on a strange, strange trip and visit that Lips post of yours. It's good to be back in the blogging game, buddy.