Monday, February 16, 2015

Updates. Updates. Updates.

1. Mrs. Noisewater and I have a wedding in August.  My only job was finding the DJ.  I made sure I talked to three or four different reputable DJ services with good Yelp reviews.  Ultimately I went with the guys who got back to me quickly when I had a question, they had a reasonable price, and we were on the same page with a lot of things.  For example, I don't want to hear any songs that are at every other damn wedding you've ever been to like "We Are Family," "Celebrate," or "Last Dance."  Also, no group participation dorky songs like the Conga line, the limbo, or the "Electric Slide."  The guy on the phone was laughing and totally got where I was coming from.  So I booked him.  I just have the photo booth to do and I'm all done.

2. I just finished George Clinton's autobiography, and I think the best story in there came when they were recording "Let's Take It To the Stage," and a random junkie white guy wandered in asking if he could record some guitar for some money.  George is a bit of free spirit so he agreed.  The guy came back with his own beat up guitar, recorded a solo over the song "Shit, God Damn, Get Off Your Ass and Jam," and everyone was speechless because it was so good.  They had agreed on $25, but it was so good George gave him $50.  George wanted to credit him on the album too, but the guy disappeared never to be heard from again.  Nobody knew who the hell he was.  I love reading rock biographies, and even if it's a bad one, if I get one story like that then it's all worth it.

3. Reading about all the Parliament/Funkadelic stuff got me digging through some old songs, and I came across this one by Bootsy Collins.  Tell me this isn't the sexiest damn thing you ever heard!  I've listened to this one 6 times in the last 4 days.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2Lorki_cCv4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. Here is a little known fact: My profile picture on Blogger since the very beginning in 2005 is a picture of George Clinton himself stepping off of the Mothership.

Who among you knew that?

4 comments:

Cocaine Princess said...

"We Are Family," "Celebrate," or "Last Dance.

-Agreed! i hate those songs at weddings or even at a party.

Gorilla Bananas said...

You're having a DJ at your wedding? Doesn't the church have a dude who'll play the organ for you? A good organist can play contemporary music instead of the wedding march if that's what your guests are more comfortable with.

Andrew said...

You also need to make sure they don't play "The Wobble." It masks itself as an "urban tune" but it actually turns into a group dance number that seemingly everyone knows the moves to.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Coke: We're on the same page here. If I didn't already book it, you would be hired!

Gorilla: No church. We're getting married on a battleship, believe it or not. So no organ. I don't konw, maybe an organ. I'm open to stuff. Or harps. Or cazoos. It's wide open.

Andrew: Wow, that's a good catch. I'll add that to the no-no list before someone pulls that switch-a-roo on me.