Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Felony Franks

Did you know there is a place on the south west side of Chicago called Felony Franks where the owner makes it a point to hire people who are ex convicts?  They owner plans on franchising them all over the country with 75% being former inmates.

Being a guy who works with young men coming out of prison, I know how hard it is for them to get a job.  Many of us are able to click "no" when an application asks if we've ever been convicted of a felony, but wouldn't that be a bitch if you had to check yes?  I have seen some kids who can't find a job anywhere, and though they wish there was another way, they go right back into "the game" that got them in trouble to begin with. 

You can get a "Misdemeanor Wiener" at Felony Franks 7 days a week.   I think I may check it out soon, Seven Readers.  Make mine charred with celery salt, sweet peppers, and tomatoes on a poppy seed bun with cheese fries and a Coke.  And a convict.

3 comments:

sybil law said...

Very interesting.
It must be spring, since a frank actually sounds good.

Radioactive Tori said...

That is awesome! I was actually just talking about how sucky it would be to have to check that box because then I wouldn't be able to apply to the nursing program. Forever. I would just not be able to be a nurse. Crazy that a mistake when young could change the whole direction of someones life. I don't have to check that box but a girl in my class did have to check it and was so sad when they said she could not do the program.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Sybil: Oh yeah. Dog and a ballgame!

Radio: Very true! It could wipe out entire career paths. Might as well just go back to selling dope, especially when there are no jobs in their neighborhoods anyway. Hope you are a nurse soon! : )