Thursday, December 31, 2009

Romance

Readers, do you consider yourself romantic? I certainly did not think I was as recently as a few years ago, but now I am unequivocally a romance guy. Gancey Girlfriend helped me see the joy in living this way, and now I do it not just to make her happy, which is super important to me now, but because I want to - because it brings me joy to see her happy.


A lot of people are under the impression that being romantic involves flying your lady around the world, buying her pink diamonds, pouring Cristal Champagne all over her naked body (how wasteful), but all you have to do, and listen carefully, male readers, is remind her all the time that she matters to you. You could do this most every day, and it doesn't cost a thing. Trust me when I say this: When you can keep her happy, you'll both be happier. Don't ever take your partner for granted, think you can just coexist without putting forth any effort, or put off doing anything nice until special occasions. Doing the little things every day will make you both stronger as a couple every day. God, I sound like Dr. Phil here, but I really just want to share this so that everyone can feel as happy as I feel, all seven of my readers.

I say this on the day of my two-year anniversary. We met two years ago on New Years Eve. She was sad about a situation, and everyone seemed wrapped up in themselves, partying. I sat by her and asked her what was wrong, for no other reason than I was sad to see her sad. Despite meeting numerous times, we found out we had a lot in common - yet so much not in common. What mattered was the connection. We kissed for the first time on my balcony, just as snow started to fall, and it was magic - fireworks. One doesn't feel that very often in a lifetime, but when you do, go for it. Don't over think these thing: when there's a connection that makes you feel good, you owe it to yourself to see if you can make it work because you feel that way for a reason.

Okay, I have to get ready to celebrate.

Happy New Years to all of you: my longtime readers, the lurkers, and everyone.

Wishing you love, romance, and fireworks in your new year.

-Dr. Ken

6 comments:

HeatherLynn said...

Reader #4 here....this was a great post to read. As a girl, there's nothing better to hear than words from a guy who "gets it"....a lot of guys just don't. Hell I suppose there are women out there who don't either...but CONGRATS! Two years...and *raises glass*...here's to Two HUNDRED more.

I'm off to celebrate new years with my own personal fireworks....Mechanic Guy...Happy New Year Honey!

~hl~

BeckEye said...

I like romance, I just never get it. So, here's hoping for more of the good stuff in 2010. Do you have a Gancey Brother or something? ;)

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Lyn and Beck: Thanks! And no brothers. Just a sister, but she's single . . .

Miss Organizized said...

Awesome awesome post and I am SO making a reference post to this on my own blog as it couldn't be more appropriate. Extra awesome because it's from a guy's perspective! Never stop believing what you wrote to be so very true in relationships.

But more importantly, congratulations!! What an adorable and touching story too :) Gancey GF is definitely very lucky to have such a caring guy, as I'm sure you're just as lucky to have her too.

I hope you had a wicked New Years! It was the first NY's of my life that I actually truly enjoyed, and having a wonderful guy to share it with was a big part of it :)

Jenni said...

Congratulations on your two years, and for finding someone who makes you happy and visa versa.

Happy New Year!

Sister said...

ummmm, I'm single, but I don't think I'm ready to switch teams yet. Congratulations little bro!