Friday, August 21, 2020

Our family camping trip last weekend was a lot of fun. It's the second time we have gone to this place. We like it because it's well maintained, quiet, and you can walk to the beach. Aside from the mosquitoes biting us at the campsite and the horse flies biting us at the beach, I would say everything went without a hitch. 




Erik always wants to stay up late enough to see all the stars. He always makes it late enough to see about half of them, and then a mere minutes after he falls asleep there are double. He did his darndest this time with a bunch of glow items to play with, but eventually he said, "I'm so tired. I'm sorry I couldn't stay up late enough." I reassured him that I was proud of him for listening to his body, and he was under no obligation to stay up any later than he wanted or needed to. He's an awesome kid.


The other day I played a bunch of tennis for probably the first time in at least 15 years. I met up with a couple of friends that I was playing online team trivia with. One guy I know pretty well, but for the other guy it was the first time I met him in person. He is really cool and gave me two really good tips that I'm going to use.

1. He had tires on his bike that don't require any air in them. To me it would be worth it to put those on to never have to worry about a flat or puncture, and to never have to go through the time of checking the PSI and pumping up before a ride. 

2. He also shared with me that he is coming up on one year sober. He said that he has had trouble supplementing one addiction for another, and his nicotine consumption went way up, sometimes in the form of Snus nicotine pouches. So, he found tea bags that you put under your lip, and the only drug in there is caffeine. I must admit that I throw a snus in from time to time, and I know it's a horrible habit. I'll be at a baseball game, for instance, and then decide at a certain inning that I'll just snus up for the remainder of the game to cut off the booze intake. But that strategy would turn out to be a terrible one if I ended up getting mouth, throat, or any other kind of cancer as a result. So, I ordered up a four pack of tea packets to try out. 

The tennis itself was mostly pretty terrible, but we had some pretty solid volleys from time-to-time, had a lot of fun, and got some good outdoor exercise. The courts have some cracks and weeds growing out of the ground, but courts few people know about that are right on the lake with this view are an amazing find.



What is really funny is how there are apartment buildings just beyond the fence on the other side, so if you accidentally launch a homerun (something you don't want) over the fence, you can land your ball right on someone's balcony or porch. Those folks probably never have to buy their own tennis balls. 

Tomorrow night I'll be heading out for a "guy's night" over by Choo Choo Train's place. It will be the first time all of us guys have been in the same place together since the Covid hit. I have Desi's first birthday party the next morning, so I plan on implementing the tea pouch technique at a certain hour so that I'm not a hungover sack of doo-doo at my own kid's party. 

Fare thee well, Seven Readers. 

5 comments:

Mr. Shife said...

Have an excellent weekend, Dr. Ken. Let me know how the tea bags work out. I used that technique when I tried to quit chewing tobacco. Didn't quite work out as I was addicted to nicotine and not caffeine. Take care, buddy, and happy birthday to the little man.

Mistress Maddie said...

Those pictures are all beyond cute!!!! That right get them camping. It's such a fun activity. And every camp gorund I have ever gone, I have met great people and made bonds. I can still remember people we met when my mom and dad use to take me when I was little.

LL Cool Joe said...

I changed the tyre on my wheelbarrow to one filled with foam rather than air. No more punctures. One of the best decisions I ever made.:D
Your kids are too cute.

Mr. Shife said...

Was the weekend too much fun?

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Shife: I guess my use is so sporadic that I don't have a nicotine addiction. I like the tea ones enough that maybe I can stop the real deal all together.

Mistress: It's making memories for sure. Erik still remembers a bunch of stuff from past trips.

LL: Good move on the Wheelbarrow. I have never had a flat on a wheelbarrow, but then again I've only used one like 3 times.

Shife: Dang it, Shife. You're right. Where the heck have I been!!?!?!!?! Thanks.