Sunday, January 06, 2013

A Solid Trip

LSD* gave me a surprise birthday gift of tickets to a basketball game at the University of Illinois, so we took a train from Chicago to Champaign, Illinois yesterday.  The ride there was fine, the game was super because the Illini won, but then the trip home was a little interesting.  There was an older Black woman with her two grandsons sitting by us, and these two rapscallions ran up and down the aisles making noise for the duration of the journey.  When they were sitting down, they watched a loud movie on a computer with constant laser noises.  What was crazy is that there was another family with a couple of kids in the back of the train car who were actually more poorly behaved than the little fellas by us.   At one point one boy from each faction of boys had a high speed collision with one another in the aisle.  It was bound to happen.

The two kids by us were pretty cute, actually, and one was named Darnell.  I know his name because I heard grandma say it a lot when he was acting up.  She also made a lot of empty threats such as "Darnell, I wish you would get out of your seat again," and then she would do nothing when Darnell would stand up to go for another run.  One conductor gave them tickets as keepsakes so Darnell hugged him.  These little guys were really excited to be on a train, and they talked loudly the entire trip.   Whenever Darnell ran out of things to say, he would sing "Solid" by Ashford and Simpson.  I must really love kids because even though I was trying to sleep, I would laugh every single time he would launch into this 80's soul jam.



-------------------
*My girlfriend

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kinda have to take it, I remember the days of endless energy, now just watching kids makes me tired, haha.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Bama: Those kids are so little but they kick a man's ass! When I see my buddies with kids now, they just look so tired. You stoked for Bama game?

Gorilla Bananas said...

Hah, exuberant little tykes! Good thing they didn't have water pistols!

Heff said...

Difference of opinion.

I would have killed Darnell the second time he stood up.

Radioactive Tori said...

I hate when parents issue empty threats. When I say something, I mean it. When mine were little, I said things and then thought "oh crap I don't want to follow through with that" but I had to. It's why my kids are so good/easy now. I don't put up with crap from anyone and I'm certainly not going to live with a bunch of tiny people that are difficult to be around.

Sounds like a great night though. You sound like you found an awesome girlfriend! Someday I hope to read stories about your own kids.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Bananas: Exuberant for sure. Haha. Or silly string.

Heff: I could see Heff walking across the aisle with his long goatee and sleeveless shirt, and that would be the end of Darnell's fun.

Radio: That sounds like my sister. She doesn't take any crappola either.

Cocaine Princess said...

Why am not surprised by Heff's comment? He once left a comment on a post i wrote that his definition of babysitting is putting kids in front of the TV.

Solid As A Rock-- classic!!

PS: Happy Birthday.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Cocaine: Thanks for b-day wishes. And Heff may not want to be a dad, but he would be one helluva uncle.